Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Exile?

We've pulled over for lunch, and I'll take over the driving shortly. Kate's on the phone and talking with someone - probably at the office. I'm sure we'll be ridiculed for driving back. Or then again, we'll be seen as brilliant and intrepid. As far as I know nothing is flying.

We're in a little place near Elba, just outside of Flint. I never thought I'd be driving through Flint. Just makes me think of the Moore documentary - what was it "Roger and Me" I think. It's a little depressed looking in places, but I guess I've seen worse.

Wasn't Elba the island off Italy where Napoleon was exiled after losing the battle of such-and-such? I hope we aren't marooned here as well.

We're here cause the main Interstate 69 is slow moving. The adjacent road is not too bad. It's highway 21 and heads directly towards the border at Port Huron. Just across the river is Sarnia, and home territory. Yay.

I'm in the car finishing a vanilla shake. On the TV in the roadside restaurant they had news stations that seem to be going about their business. But it's weird. Why are they not in a feeding frenzy on this stuff. They do updates on the stalled air travel across the Northeast US for the past 12 hours, but are calling it a minor outage. Whatever that means.

I assume most people are still waiting it out in airports. Oh - here comes Kate - off for now, and another couple of hours of driving worst case probably.

No comments: