Thursday, July 16, 2009

Strange Workday

Strangely I made it into work today.  The place is half deserted though.  Driving in, they were doing sports and weather and news was mostly inane stuff like "Travel problems continue to mess people up." As if it's just a long weekend rush.  But apparently borders have all but closed all around the world. Why would they do that?  Most are still letting people through at a trickle, after lots of checking, so people are getting really antsy about it all.
They mention military out on the streets everywhere, saying that they have been called in to help managed crowds.  Uh, there are no crowds.   This really has to stop.  Why is the media playing ball with this whole news black-out.  You'd think that the only news was a minor logistical mess up, or a heat wave, or bus strike. 
I did see one crowd - around the AM news radio station I drive by near my neighbourhood.  Signs said "Tell us what's going on" and "Don't gag the media."  How long can this last.

Internet news sites - not associated with the big outlets are still talking about rumours and crazy stuff. Someone in the office has turned the lunch room TV to the news channel and yet there still just repeating the same stuff. In fact, I think some of it is just tape on a loop from yesterday.  They were referring to 'tomorrow, Thursday's weather' when I was in for a coffee.  Pretty crazy when even the cable news hype machine isn't feeding.

So I'm actually doing some work between rumour collecting sessions - either online, or with the little gaggles of other folks around the office.  I haven't seen Kate - though she works on another floor.  I think I'll swing up there and say 'hi.' It's lunch time now anyway.

Hey a few gaggles have become an uber gaggle by the lunch room. Checking it out...

No comments: