Thursday, July 09, 2009

Sunday's Get Me Down

Okay this BoreDaze blog is named for days like Sunday.

It's even worse after a day like saturday. I did squat all day. Didn't get out at all. I tried to call Darren and Kira to see if I could drop by and hang out on their patio with them, but there was no answer.

I suppose those two will have kids someday and we'll lose track of them. Nothing worse than new parents. All they talk about is their kids. Like nobody has ever had any before. But so far they're still cool. They've got a nice house not too far away from my apartment building. And they've got big mature trees over their backyard and it's a great spot in the summer.

It's funny, with us all spread around both sides of 30, and so few people are married. When I think about twenty years ago or thirty, everyone seemed to be married in their late teens or early twenties. This is definitely better. I can't imagine going to University married, or just after even. Then again, a longer term relationship would be nice thing too. If I could find a chick cool enough to hang with us all, and fit in. Hmmm, Mina would be good. I wonder if Kate would be cool with the crew?


Anyway, stayed in. I actually played some old Spunk Monkey's. Their third one was probably the best - called "Whacked" it's the one with where CD cover has Jip Franklin smeared on the windshield of a car, and Danny Hendon behind the wheel. It was great stuff. Brings back some good memories. We (Dave and I) saw them play most of the tracks off that one in Seattle.

We met a bunch of people at that club that were all tuned into the Fan site I was running. I felt like some sort of celebrity webmaster. And there was that girl Susanne - whew. Dave and I and Susanne and her friend Jane hung out for a few days. Those were good times, smuggling them up to Vancouver and over to Victoria and back again. We left them at the border where some friends were meeting them and they just walked across again, and their friends were going to pick them up on the other side.

We were laughing that their 'Friends' were probably their boyfriends, and they had taken off for three days without telling them who they were with. Smooth apporoach - nothing like an international border and the associated authorities to keep your men separated.

Oh well, we got a few emails later, but it was fun while it lasted. I was a real hero for getting Jip Franklin to come over to our table and have a beer with us.


Yikes - you can tell what side of thirty I'm on (only as of last month!!) I"m reminiscing already. "When I was a boy, we used to have to walk to school...." and all that.


Oh well, Sunday always sucks. I've been doing chores, trying to clean up and actually baking bread. I like doing that - probably the smell that makes me feel at home like a kid. But I'm pretty good at it, and it makes great sandwiches for lunch. Nothing else going on today, maybe I'll go by the pub and see if anyone's about later this afternoon.

Last night I ended up just watching hours of NASA TV on the web. After listening to the Monkeys for a while I got curious about the shuttle mission and watched some of that.

Maybe I'll check it out again this afternoon. I wish I could get the internet feed onto my TV. My crappy cable service doesn't offer the NASA TV channel. Wish it did, but it's probably some strange package for an extra $50 a month or something.

Anyway, more chores to do around home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - cool another SpunkMonkeys fan! I didn't think anyone remembered them. I got their CD Getto5 (why was it called that?) but a friend ripped "Whacked" for me. It was sooo great.

I can't beleive you met Jip Franklin. I had such a crush on him!!! lol

Anonymous said...

The Monkey's sucked - well, "Whacked" wasn't too bad, but their other CD's were really weak.

Anonymous said...

I loved "Got Religion" That was their first disc I think? But they were really good then - still sounded fresh