Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What's Happening in Oslo?

We're in a big line up in Port Huron. I'm driving, Kate's sleeping. Yeah, I know - how can I be driving if I'm typing. Well, we haven't moved for the last half hour, so I figured what the hell.

The radio's on but it's no use - they aren't saying much at all. But I tuned to CBC from Canada, and I hear some international news. They are saying that there's been some sort of disaster in Oslo, and all communications are out. They think it's maybe nuclear or something - but how could that be? If it was nuclear, it would be detectable surely from some sort of instruments somewhere. Why would it knock out all the communications. Like isn't there satellite phone and shit that they can be using. Something weird is going on for sure.

We actually just moved a bit. Kate's managing to sleep pretty well in spite of the 100 metres we crept forward. I can see the border ahead now at least, but it's probably going to be a while still. I just hope it doesn't close. But then again, nothing seems to be too out of the ordinary if you go by the media.

But on the blogs, let me tell you. This guy Jakki - somewhere in the netherlands say that the sky was lit up bright in the west (towards Sweden) early in the evening - I guess it's late at night there. People are speculating everything from alien invasion to nuclear blasts to a new volcano. Someone said it wasn't a big glow, but a bunch of small lights close together.

Why do we know so little about this in an era where we know everything a movie star ate for breakfast while on an showy aid trip to poorest African villages? Why isn't even the rumour mill churning away, based on media-types reading the blogosphere?

Something is strange. Some of the blogs I visited earlier are just gone now. Like, how does that happen. This stuff normally persists for years.

Chatting with Kate she was saying, "What the heck are we doing out here" as we drove through ramshackle areas in the middle of nowhere Michigan. I try to keep my speculation down, but I do heckle the radio a bit when they say that "Airline delays are continuing - experts deny that there is a terrorist threat." They go on to claim it's a 'computer glitch' in the air traffic system, and they are being cautious. I wouldn't want to be fielding PR questions on that line. They must be costing the economy many millions an hour.

Oh, I hope we get to have supper in Canada tonight. Hey, a bit more movement.

I saw some military looking helicopters fly over a few minutes ago. I haven't seen them flying in formation before - four of 'em. Looks pretty neat - glad they aren't coming here. Must be a base near by. I wonder what the scuttlebutt is there!

No comments: